MyExpense - Travel Cash Advance

As a best practice, expenses should be paid by the traveler with out-of-pocket funds and reimbursed. Instead of cash advances, please consider these alternative options: 

  1. Travelers may apply for a corporate travel card, which can be used for lodging, ground transportation, and the traveler’s own meals. 
  2. Departments may use a procurement card to pay registration fees on behalf of the traveler. 
  3. Departments may provide a speedtype for airfare in Connexxus and pay the airline directly. 

Please exhaust the above alternatives before requesting cash advances. Cash advances should only be used when absolutely necessary for travel-related expenses only and not include meeting/entertainment expenses.  Travelers should consider the impact and implications of cash advances before using that option. 

  • The amount requested should not exceed a reasonable estimate of the out-of-pocket expenses needed for the trip. 
  • A travel cash advance can only be issued within 30 days of the first day of business travel to satisfy IRS regulations and to meet the University's cash management objectives. 
  • A traveler may only have one outstanding cash advance per trip and must clear any previous advances before another advance is issued. 
  • Cash advances can only be used for the traveler requesting the funds. The funds cannot be given to any other individual. 
  • If an employee does not submit an expense report showing how the advance was spent on travel expenses and/or fails to return any unused cash advance amounts within 120 calendar days of the end of a trip, the University is obligated under IRS regulations to consider such amounts as taxable income to the employee. Travelers who are taxed for travel advances will no longer be allowed to receive any future cash advances.

System Access

  • Non-Employees cannot obtain a cash advance through MyExpense; please refer to Non-Employee Travel Cash Advance for detailed instructions.
  • UCSF Employees may obtain a cash advance through MyExpense only if they don't have a Corporate Travel Card or they can't obtain a cash advance through their Corporate Travel Card.
  • Delegates: When submitting a cash advance request as a delegate for another employee, remember to turn on the acting as a delegate feature in MyExpense before starting the cash advance; see instructions below. When finished, remember to stop acting as a delegate.

Before Your Trip

After Your Trip

Frequently Asked Questions


Last Updated: January 2024