When traveling on business, it is the responsibility of the traveler to understand UCSF travel policies as well as any funding sources or departmental restrictions on paying for travel. To ensure that your travel complies with policy and can be paid or reimbursed, check the policy prior to booking; do not rely solely on the highlights described below.

Travel Policy Guidelines

UC Policy G-28, Travel Regulations applies to all official University travel, including employees and non-employees (e.g., students, guests, independent contractors, etc.) and travel funded by contracts and grants.

Travel Made Easy PDF Download

Book a Trip

Before booking a trip, review the Travel Policy Guidelines (above), UC policies, and refer to Reimbursable vs. Non-Reimbursable Travel Expenses (below) to ensure your expenses are allowable and reimbursable by the University.

Connexxus Travel Portal

  • Connexxus is the preferred method for booking travel. Connexxus offers discounted UC-contract prices, as well as a "one-stop shop" for booking airline tickets, lodging, and rental cars. Call a travel agent or make reservations online.
  • All UCSF employees automatically have access to Connexxus. Access Connexxus through MyAccess.
  • Before making travel arrangements, obtain a SpeedType from your department's Finance or Administration Teams to direct-bill UCSF for airfare booked through BCD & UC Travel Center (UCTC). Directly billing UCSF for airfare means that the University will pay for the airfare directly to the travel agency. The traveler does not have to personally pay for airfare in advance and wait to be reimbursed.

Book Now With Connexxus button

Corporate Travel Card

  • Corporate Travel Card is available to employees who travel on official University business. The card may be used to pay for all expenses related to official University business travel, including lodging and subsistence, or to obtain a cash advance for travel.
  • Card transactions will be uploaded to MyExpense to include on your expense report. For expenses paid with a Corporate Travel Card, submit the expense report in MyExpense so the University can pay the account balance by the due date.
  • The cardholder is personally responsible for paying all charges on the Corporate Travel Card and for keeping the card current.

Cash Advance

As a best practice, expenses should be paid by the traveler with out-of-pocket funds and be reimbursed. Instead of cash advances, please consider these alternative options: 

  1. Travelers may apply for a corporate travel card, which can be used for lodging, all ground transportation, and the traveler’s own meals. 

  1. Departments may use a procurement card to pay registration fees on behalf of the traveler. 

  1. Departments may provide a speedtype for airfare in Connexxus and pay the airline directly. 

Please exhaust the alternatives listed above before requesting cash advances. Cash advances should only be used when absolutely necessary for travel-related expenses – not including meeting/entertainment expenses.  Travelers should consider the impact and implications of cash advances before using that option. 

To satisfy Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, a travel cash advance may only be issued within 30 days of the first day of business travel. The amount requested should not exceed a reasonable estimate of the out-of-pocket expenses needed for the trip. A traveler may only have one outstanding cash advance per trip and must clear any previous advances before another advance is issued. Cash advances can only be used for the traveler requesting the funds. The funds cannot be given to any other individual. The traveler must return any cash advance immediately upon cancelation of a trip; or, within 45 calendar days after the completion of the trip. After the trip, a properly completed and approved travel expense report must be submitted to account for all travel advances and expenses on official University travel, even if no reimbursement is due to the traveler. In addition, if travelers did not spend all of the cash advance, they are required to return the remaining balance to the University.

Return Remaining Cash Advances

After submitting your expense report, to return a cash advance please either: 

  1. Mail a copy of your expense report and a check made payable to the "UC Regents" and send it: 
    Via US Postal Mail 
    UCSF Supply Chain Management 
    ATTN: Travel Unit – Box 0812 
    1855 Folsom St 
    San Francisco, CA 94143 

    Via Interoffice Mail 
    UCSF Supply Chain Management 
    Attn: Travel Unit - Box 0812 


  1. Send an ACH/Wire following the Controller’s Office’s website instructions here. If the traveler or department decides to return the outstanding cash advance balance through ACH/Wire, please email [email protected] and provide the detailed reference to this payment. 

Note: The University is obligated under IRS regulations to consider any cash advance as taxable income to the traveler if they do not submit an expense report showing how the advance was spent on travel expenses and/or fail to return any unused amount within 120 calendar days after the completion of the trip. Travelers taxed for travel advances will not be allowed to receive any future cash advances.  

Travel Reimbursement Claims

The traveler or traveler's delegate should submit the expense report within 45 days after the completion of the trip. When a trip lasts more than 90 days, a quarterly report is required. Employee reimbursement requests submitted more than 60 days after the completion of the trip (or end of the quarter) will be reported as taxable income, read more about late expense reports.

  • Expense reports must include supporting documentation substantiating the business purpose for each day of travel, as well as receipts for certain expenses.

My Expense System Access and Training button          Travel Expense Voucher button



Related Policies


Last Updated: September 2022